You have no items in your shopping cart.

Cheap ShedsCheap Sheds


Are you confused whether or not you need council approval or a permit to build a shed? Don't worry a lot of customers have the same concerns. That’s why we are here to help clarify.

Whatever structure you are choosing to add to your property in South Australia, it's recommended you do some research to understand your state and councils guidelines regarding putting up new buildings (no matter how small).

The GOOD NEWS is that not every kind of building requires approval or a building licence.

A small to medium shed normally requires no paperwork however it's important to check if your structure falls into the exempt from approval category.

On this page I have provided some information for you, to understand the general rules in South Australia in regards to what to expect and what to do if you need building approval.



If you build a shed, garage, carport etc without approval and you go to sell the property, or have someone complain, you can get into some trouble. If the council finds your building was added without council approval you could face major fines and be forced to remove the building.

So it is very important you consider the rules and regulations in your State before buying a shed.

IMPORTANT: It's not hard work, or going to cost you anything to check. Even after reading this page we suggest you give your local council a call to be safe.



As mentioned before smaller structures, may be exempt from council approved such as:

  • Garden sheds
  • Tool sheds
  • bird aviaries
  • rainwater tanks.

As a guide, approval from Council is NOT required for these items if its being added to your home or a domestic residence.

However for a shed or small workshop you generally only need approval if it meets any of the following:

  • Higher than 2.5m above natural ground level
  • Larger than 15m2 in area
  • The Span is greater than 3m
  • Its subject of any obstructions

EXCEPTIONS: Even though your development may comply with the above, you may still be required to obtain planning approval if the structure is located between an existing building and the road frontage or if It’s closer than 900mm to secondary street boundary for corner blocks.



You may only require an assessment on your plans to whether or not you need a licence if you are planning to develop any of the following:

  • Building a house or extensions
  • Garage
  • Granny Flats
  • Other buildings and structures such as swimming pools, retaining walls and fences.

It also needs to abide by The Building Code of Australia which outlines that your plans cannot impact,

  • The structural integrity of any other building
  • A fire-rated wall, ceiling or floor
  • Any emergency escapes or exists or similar to
  • Natural light, ventilation or fire protection system



It may be old fashioned but a little neighbourly etiquette can save you time, money and headache.

If you think your building may in any form impact your neighbor's view, light, space etc, have a chat to your them first to let them know what you are planning.

Making sure you keep the peace with your neighbour means a peaceful project and less hassle with getting approval if no one is objecting.



If you do need council approval you will need to check again with your council what it is you will need but here are some items to expect:

  • Detailed site plan
  • Engineer Papers (which we will provide with your shed/workshop/garage)
  • Building Licence for very big buildings for example most of our custom sheds which are more thans 6 x 12 meters.
The information on this page is purely guidance and although we have taken as much action to keep it up to day and clear, you should always check with your Governing body for more details before taking action.


Adelaide City Council
(08) 8203 7203
Adelaide Hills Council
Tel#:(08) 8408 0400
Alexandrina Council
Tel#: (08) 8555 7000
The Barossa Council
08 8563 8444
District Council of Barunga West
08 8635 2107
Berri Barmera Council
08 8582 1922
The City of Burnside
(08) 8366 4200
Campbelltown City Council
(08) 8366 9222
District Council Ceduna
(08) 8625 3407
City of Charles Sturt
(08) 8408 1111
Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council
(08) 8842 6400
District Council of Cleve
(08) 8628 2004
District Council of Coober Pedy
08 8672 5298
The Coorong District Council
1300 785 277
District Council of the Copper Coast
(08) 8828 1200
District Council of Elliston
(08) 8687 9177
The Flinders Ranges Council
08 8620 0500
District Council of Franklin Harbour
08 8629 2019
Town of Gawler
08 8522 9211
Regional Council of Goyder
08 8892 0100
District Council of Grant
(08) 8721 0444
City of Holdfast Bay
(08) 8229 9999
Kangaroo Island Council
08 8553 4500
District Council of Karoonda East Murray
61 08 8578 1004
District Council of Kimba
08 8627 2026
Kingston District Council
(08) 8767 2033
Wudinna District Council
(08) 8680 2002
Light Regional Council
(08) 8525 3200
District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula
(08) 8676 0400
District Council of Loxton Waikerie
08 8584 8000
District Council of Mallala
08 8527 0200
City of Marion
(08) 8375 6600
Mid Murray Council
(08) 8569 0100
City of Mitcham
+61 8 8372 8888
District Council of Mt Barker
8391 7200
City of Mt Gambier
08 8721 2555
District Council of Mt Remarkable
08 8666 2014
The Rural City of Murray Bridge
08 8539 1100
Naracoorte Lucindale Council
(08) 8760 1100
Northern Areas Council
8664 1139
The City Of Norwood, Payneham & St Peters
08 8366 4555
City of Onkaparinga
+61 8 8384 0666
District Council of Orroroo Carrieton
08 8658 1260
District Council of Peterborough
08 8651 3566
City of Playford
08 8256 0333
City of Port Adelaide Enfield
(08) 8405 6600
Port Augusta City Council
08 8641 9100
City of Pt Lincoln
08 8621 2300
Port Pirie Regional Council
08 8633 9777
City of Prospect
08 8269 5355
District Council of Renmark Paringa
(08) 8580 3000
District Council of Robe
(08) 8768 2003
Municipal Council of Roxby Downs
8671 0010
City of Salisbury
(08) 8406 8222
Southern Mallee District Council
(08) 8577 8002
District Council of Streaky Bay
(08) 8626 1001
Tatiara District Council
08 8752 1044
City of Tea Tree Gully
08 8397 7444
District Council of Tumby Bay
(08) 8688 2101
City of Unley
(08) 8372 5111
City of Victor Harbor
08 8551 0500
Wakefield Regional Council
08 8862 0800
Corporation of the Town of Walkerville
08 8342 7100
Wattle Range Council
(08) 8733 0900
City of West Torrens
District Council of Yankalilla
08 8558 0200
Yorke Peninsula Council
(08) 8832-0000
The Corporation of the City of Whyalla
(08) 8640-3444
To Top