You have no items in your shopping cart.

Cheap ShedsCheap Sheds


If you are in need of a shed and wondering if you need building approval, the answer isn't straight forward.

See it depends on a few factors. The size shed you are wanting to buy, your state regulations and council rules. All these vary depending where you live so regardless of what you are adding to your home, it's recommended you do some research to understand what regulations apply to your area.

The GOOD NEWS is that not every size shed requires approval or a building licence. 

On this page you will find a summary of what you need to know about Council Approval rules and building permits.



If you build a shed, garage, carport etc without approval and you go to sell the property, or have someone complain, you can get into some trouble. If the council finds your building was added without council approval you could face major fines and be forced to remove the building.

So it is very important you consider the rules and regulations in your State before buying a shed.

IMPORTANT: It's not hard work, or going to cost you anything to check. Even after reading this page we suggest you give your local council a call to be safe.



Generally small garden sheds or storage units won't require you to submit forms for approval. It is outlined in the Queensland Building Regulation 2006, that you do not need building approval if your shed is:

  • no more than 10 square metres in area after building work is completed
  • no more than 2.4 metres high (with an 'average mean height' of no more than 2.1 metres)
  • no longer than 5 metres along any side

ONLY If your shed does not meet these requirements, you will need to submit an application to be assessed. The council will assess whether or not you can commence your project and whether or not your need a building licence to carry it out.

To be approved, your shed will need to meet specific regulations relating to design and location. These are outlined in the Queensland Development Code as well.

Furthermore, your council may have additional rules added to the above state requirements so you are best to check with them first before buying.

It's a good idea to choose the shed you are after and share its specifications with your council so they can provide you faster support.



Mainly a building permit is required for larger buildings such as carports, garages, farm sheds, large custom sheds or the like.

You can seek advice and/or arrange for a building approval through a building certifier. You must give the certifier scaled and detailed plans prepared by a draftsperson or architect.

However, in queensland some projects can be considered for self-assessable building work and not require a building permit if they meet the following regulations:

  • no more than 10m² in area after building work is completed (e.g. 3.1m x 3.2m)
  • no more than 2.4m high
  • a mean height of no more than 2.1m
  • no longer than 5m along any side
  • Please note that boundary setbacks still apply.

If your building will require approval, you will need to lodge an application with a building certifier for assessment.



It may be old fashioned but a little neighbourly etiquette can save you time, money and headache.

If you think your building may in any form impact your neighbor's view, light, space etc, have a chat to your them first to let them know what you are planning.

Making sure you keep the peace with your neighbour means a peaceful project and less hassle with getting approval if no one is objecting.



If you do need council approval you will need to check again with your council what it is you will need but here are some items to expect:

  • Detailed site plan
  • Engineer Papers (which we will provide with your shed/workshop/garage)
  • Building Licence for very big buildings for example most of our custom sheds which are more thans 6 x 12 meters.
The information on this page is purely guidance and although we have taken as much action to keep it up to day and clear, you should always check with your Governing body for more details before taking action.


Banana Shire Council
(07) 4992 9500
Barcaldine Regional Council
07 4651 5600
Barcoo Shire Council
(07) 4658 6900
Blackall-Tambo Regional Council
(07) 4621 6600
Boulia Shire Council
(07) 4746 3188
Central Highlands Regional Council
1300 242 686
Diamantina Shire Council
07 4746 1202
Gladstone Regional Council
(07) 4970 0700
Isaac Regional Council
1300 47 22 27
Longreach Regional Council
(07) 4658 4111
Mackay Regional Council
1300 622 529
Rockhampton Regional Council
07 4932 9000
Whitsunday Regional Council
07 4945 0200
Winton Shire Council
(07) 4657 0078
Woorabinda Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4925 9800
Aurukun Shire Council
(07) 4060 6800
Burdekin Shire Council
(07) 4783 9800
Burke Shire Council
07 4745 5100
Cairns Regional Council
(07) 4044 3044
Carpentaria Shire Council
07 4745 2200
Cassowary Coast Regional Council
(07) 4030 2222
Charters Towers Regional Council
07 4761 5300
Cloncurry Shire Council
(07) 4742 4100
Cook Shire Council
07 4069 5444
Croydon Shire Council
(07)4748 7100
Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
07 4745 8351
Etheridge Shire Council
(07) 4062 1233
Flinders Shire Council
(07) 4741 2900
Hinchinbrook Shire Council
4776 4600
Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4083 8000
Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4083 7100
Lockhart River Aboriginal Shire Council
07 4060 7144
Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 40825200
McKinlay Shire Council
07 4745 7800
Mornington Shire Council
07 4745 7800
Mount Isa City Council
07 4747 3200
Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4090 5600
Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council
27 853 926 592
Palm Island Aboriginal Shire Council
07 4770 0200
Pormpuraaw Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4060 4600
Richmond Shire Council
+61 (0) 7 4741-3277
Tablelands Regional Council
1300 362 242
Torres Shire Council
(07) 4069 1336
Torres Strait Island Regional Council
07 4034 5700
Townsville City Council
1300 878 001
Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council
0740 839 100
Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council
(07) 4056 9120
Douglas Shire Council
(07) 4099 9444
Mareeba Shire Council
07 4086 4500
Balonne Shire Council
(07) 4620 8888
Brisbane City Council 07 3403 8888
Bulloo Shire Council
07 4621 8000
Bundaberg Regional Council
1300 883 699
Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council
07-4168 1866
Fraser Coast Regional Council
1300 79 49 29
Gold Coast City Council
07 5582 8211
Goondiwindi Regional Council
07 4671 7400
Gympie Regional Council
1300 307 800
Ipswich City Council
(07) 3810 6666
Lockyer Valley Regional Council
1300 005 872
Logan City Council
1300 156 426
Maranoa Regional Council
1300 007 662
Moreton Bay Regional Council
(07) 3205 0555
Murweh Shire Council
07 4656 8355
North Burnett Regional Council
1300 696 272
Paroo Shire Council
07-4655 8400
Quilpie Shire Council
(07) 4656 0500
Redland City Council
(07) 3829 8999
Scenic Rim Regional Council
1300 360 555
Somerset Regional Council
07 5424 4000
South Burnett Regional Council
07 4189 9100
Southern Downs Regional Council
1300 697 372
Sunshine Coast Regional Council
1300 007 272
Toowoomba Regional Council
131 872
Western Downs Regional Council
1300 268 624
Livingstone Shire Council
1300 790 919
Noosa Shire Council
(07) 5329 6500
To Top